Monday, September 22, 2008

Third Best Day of the Year...

Yes folks thats correct, its not the start of the playoffs or the regular season but the first time the Sabres take the ice for the year. I was having a pretty crappy day but when I got home it all got better because the boys in blue and gold had already taken the ice. We are currently down 3-1. I would love to be watching the game online for free through Leafs TV but since I have a Vermont IP address I cannot access it. Lame. Add that one to the long list of reasons I hate Toronto. In fact, its only saving grace is the fact that my sister lives there. Better make that a 4-1 deficit halfway through the second with the only Sabres goal coming from Marek Zagrapan 45 seconds into the game on a PP. Peters has already been tossed for unsportsmanlike conduct and both him and Kaleta have been involved in scuffles. What was I saying about crappy day? Hockey has that ability. Even the fact that Sarah Palin likes hockey can't sway me away from my beloved sport.

Steven Stamkos played in his first game at the NHL level winning his first draw (against Sidney Crosby) and scoring a filthy shootout goal for the win. Heres a video of highlights from the game.



For those of you who don't know, I'm a huge fan of San Jose's gritty third line center Torrey Mitchell. Not only did he go to UVM but he plays the game the way it was meant to be played ("with a lot of heart and a big back of knuckles" according to Mike Myers' character Donnie Shulzhoffer in Mystery, Alaska). Unfortunately, yesterday at practice his leg collided with the post while going to the net breaking his tibia and fibula. He is expected to be out 8 weeks (that means 12). Not only is this a huge blow to the Sharks who now will likely have to move Marleau to center but also to Mitchell's career. He played in all 82 games last season recording 10 goals and 20 points as well as a goal and 2 assists in the playoffs. Hopefully he can return with no side-effects. Luckily for Mitchell, it was not a tendon pull/tear, those can nag you for the rest of your career.

Finally, the Sabres extended GM Darcy Regier two more years. Regier has come under fire for letting Briere, Drury, McKee, Campbell and Grier leave in recent years but I still think he has done a decen job running the team, especially in some tough times. Then again, I look at that list of players, players I loved to watch and who were quality teammates, and wonder why it took him so long to realize how to sign players under the new CBA.

With that said, Go Sabres (and take the Bills with you). I stole that line from my father and I'm not ashamed to admit it because I am slowly turning into him.

No comments: