Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My Life is in Order!

So yeah, I have not posted in a long time due in large part to the fact that classes started last week and, until today at around noon, I was a junior with no major, no money and no purpose in life. Well I'm pleased to say that at least now I have a major (Community Development and Applied Economics for those of you who care) even if the other two are still lacking. Considering I just joined 5 brand new classes I dont have any homework so I figured I would catch up here while my roommate actually does something with his life. Enough about me, heres the hockey news and views:
  • Detroit continues to be a model of how to run a franchise signing geezer Chris Chelios to a one year deal. Chelios is now officially older than time itself and was a mere 4 years old when hockey was invented. When Chelios dies in the year 3000, so will hockey.
  • The blogosphere has been abuzz with news from the Womens pre-Olympic qualifier. Slovakia disgraced Bulgaria in the final game of the tournament, blanking the Bulgarian women 82-0. Ouch. Heres some stats that I've managed to scrounge up from my more esteemed colleagues. There were 12 players with hat tricks (thats all four lines folks) including one 10-goal scorer, two 9-goal scorers and four others with 8 goals. Every Slovak was plus-22 or better. There were two Bulgarians that were minus-39. Bulgaria was out scored 192-1 throughout the four game tournament with their only goal coming on their only shot against Croatia. As Puck Daddy points out, Bulgaria allowed more goals in 4 games than the Detroit Red Wings did in all 82 games last season (184). They had seven total shots in the tournament. As much fun and amazing it is to look at these stats, to be honest I dont think I have ever seen a poorer showing of sportsmanship. Isn't 40-0 enough?
  • Pat Quinn will step in as the new head coach of team Canada for the World Junior Championships. No surprise there. Quinn will likely be looking to make a return to NHL level coaching if this gig goes well.
  • Some joker over at the Globe and Mail reported that the Tampa Bay Lightning are now interested in the services of Mats Sundin. As ridiculous as this is, I wonder if anyone has told the Bolts' brass that they're not going to be able to win every game 11-10 and are going to have to learn how to play some defense once in a while. What a gongshow that boardroom must be.
  • The KHL season started almost a week ago. There seems to be quite a bit of fighting going on and they even have their own Sidney Crosby wanna be.  
  • On a similar note I would like to extend a very special thank you to the newly formed league for getting rid of garbage like Chris Simon for us: 
          There was also this gem of a brawl. So much for being a threat to the NHL.

  • Brendan Shanahan should chop Mats Sundin down with his stick if they ever end up on the same ice surface again. Shanahan has said since the beginning of the summer that he wants to continue playing for the Rangers and his position has not changed. The Rangers, however, are waiting on a response from Sundin which may not come until after the season starts. If they commit the money to Shanahan they might as well kiss Sundin goodbye. Its a pretty terrible thing to do on both the Rangers' and Sundin's part. If it was up to me, I would sign Shanahan. The Rangers already have Drury and Gomez at center. It might not sit well with any of them to be the third-line center, especially getting paid the money that they are.
  • The Florida Panthers signed Keith Ballard to a six year, $25.2 million deal. Ballard was part of the draft-day deal that saw Olli Jokinen go to Phoenix. Ballard has 19 goals and 87 points as well as 243 PIM in 233 career games. That seems like a lot of money to be throwing at a guy with those kind of numbers but I guess the Cats need all the help they can get.
  • Finally, a leaked photo of the Sabres' new third jerseys has made its way onto the interweb. To put it simply, it looks great! Hello Christmas 2008. I'll have to get a Gil Perreault jersey to appease my parents into buying me one. Seriously though, why did it take so long to get it right?

2 comments:

Noah said...

I can't believe that Slovakia/Bulgaria score...I was just about to buy a Bulgarian women's olympic hockey jersey too...maybe I still will.

Unknown said...

We did such a good job raising you.