Saturday, June 7, 2008

The 08 Playoffs

This season's playoffs were, for lack of a better word, different at least in my opinion. I was more interested than ever but it seemed to me like some of the games didn't live up to their full potential and the match-ups weren't that great. Don't get me wrong, there was some excellent hockey being played, especially in the first round. However, playoff hockey always has some sort of a mystique, an intangible element if you will. When I turn on a game I can usually tell that it means more than just a regular season game. Every turnover is more costly and every scoring chance is more important but, for some reason, I never got that sense from this year's postseason. At least until the Finals. Maybe its becasue scoring didn't significantly decrease in the postseason this year indicating that games were not as tight as in the past. Maybe its because it was fairly apparent that the Penguins would run away with the East after Carey Price has his meltdown in the second round (hindsight is always 20/20 as they say). Maybe it was the lack of big upsets (excluding Dallas knocking out the Sharks in the second round). Maybe I'm just suffering from post-playoff depression. Who knows? 
Post on the Finals coming soon

No comments: